Is Acupuncture Safe?
- Yes, only sterile, disposable needles are used. Every licensed acupuncturist has passed the National Clean Needle Techniques Examinations.
Does it hurt?
- Discomfort is mild or nonexistent. Most people only feel the initial pinch.
What are the side effects of acupuncture?
- If acupuncture is provided by a well-trained acupuncturist, the most common side effect is an occasional bruise.
How often do people should have acupuncture?
- Twice a week for 5 weeks is better than once a week for 10 weeks for acute conditions. For chronic conditions, twice a week for 5 weeks, then once a week for another 10 weeks is recommended.
Acupuncture and herbs work holistically. Traditional Chinese medicine views the human body as a well integrated system rather than a collection of individual parts, and treatment is geared to restoring overall balance of the entire system. The treatments are quite safe. Many people feel so relaxed and peaceful that they fall asleep while being treated.
Acupuncture has very few side effects. One research conducted in England showed that in 3000 acupuncture treatments, the only side effect was an occasional bruise.
The combination of Traditional Chinese Medicine and western medicine helps avoid some surgeries and helps in recovery from surgery. The effects of the combination of different herbs can not be replaced by single chemicals.
How Acupuncture and Herbs Work
- By boosting the immunity of the body. Acupuncture can increase the activities of natural killer cells and lymphocytes, and increase the blood concentration of antibodies.
- By increasing the pain threshold. Researches showed that acupuncture could reduce neuronal response to painful stimulation while increasing the internal inhibitory effects on pain sensation.
- By reducing blood cholesterol levels. Certain herbs such as Hawthorn have been proven to decrease blood cholesterol level and prevent cardiac diseases.
- By reducing the level of stress hormones such as norepinephine, dopamine, corticostrone and ACTH.
- By increasing anti-inflammatory effects. Acupuncture can inhibit the release of some pain substances.
- By improving the anti-virus function of the immune system.
- By coordinating the functions of different bodily systems.
What to Expect
Researches have proven that acupuncture can relieve pain by increasing your pain threshold and by releasing your body’s own painkiller endorphin. The combined treatment protocol of acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine can help you feel better, function better, increase the quality of your life and prevent some serious diseases.
Information about your health will be collected by asking, palpitating, looking at your tongue and feeling your pulse. A diagnosis will be given based on the theories of traditional Chinese medicine.
Very fine needles will be inserted into some chosen points. Appropriate herbs will be provided when necessary. Treatment periods are designed to remedy each individual’s unique problems. For most chronic conditions, once a week or twice a week treatment for the first couples of weeks, then once a month or every other month for the maintenance until you are satisfied with the results.