Modern cancer care involves a complicated choreography of surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation treatments, all of which in itself take a heavy toll on the patient’s body. In recent years, cancer acupuncture has become an increasingly popular supportive therapy that allows the patient’s body to better tolerate and respond to treatments. More and more leading cancer treatment centers are offering acupuncture in-house. Dr. Li Zheng worked for over 2 years at Boston’s prestigious Dana Farber Cancer Institute, using acupuncture to reduce chemo/radiation side effects in her patients.
Side-effects of chemotherapy relieved by cancer acupuncture
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea/ vomiting
- Weight Loss
What can contribute to the development of cancer?
Cancer is an abnormal, uncontrollable growth of immature cells that can spread to other parts of the body. Cancer gets its start when our chromosomes are damaged by oxidation, radiation, stress, or an imbalance of hormones and the nervous system. Dr. Li Zheng has developed the following list of some of the direct and indirect causes or conditions that can lead to cancer based on her extensive experience. For more information, please read her book, Acupuncture & Hormone Balance.
- Chronic inflammation in certain body areas such as intestine and prostate
- Hormone imbalance: imbalance of estrogen and progesterone leads to overgrowth of breast tissue, uterine lining or ovarian tissues. This growth is usually benign, but can become cancerous under certain conditions
- Stress can cause an imbalance of immune function, thus weakening it
- Too much ultraviolet light can damage the skin, causing melanoma
- Cigarette smoking
- Too much junk food is linked with chronic inflammation
- Lack of sleep can lead to weakened immune function and imbalance of hormones
- Vitamin D deficiency due to indigestion