Macular is a small area located in the center of the retina, which consists of many nerves cells. Macular is in charge of our sharp, central vision when we look at things straight ahead. Those nerves need good blood flow and oxygen to maintain a good function. When we get older, our blood vessels become stiff and tend to leak fluids to form the scar tissue and damage those nerves in the Macular area. In order to slow down this aging process called age-related macular degeneration, we need to improve the health of our blood vessels and nerves. If people use the following suggestions as a guide, they can keep their vision in good condition until they are 90 years old. A good example is a 100-year-old cardiac surgeon living in Loma Linda in California, who continued doing surgery until he was 90. He became a vegan when he turned 60. He has been doing a lot of yard work through his lifetime also.
- Eat 5 servings of fruit and vegetables.
- Cut down on alcohol, spicy food, and sweets.
- Avoid too much salty foods.
- Do not stare at the computer for more than one hour continuously.
- Intense exercise, such as fast walking or swimming, will improve the circulation to your retina instantly and help build healthy blood vessels.
- Avoid using a smartphone for too long.
- Practice acupressure twice a day with deep breathing. Go to https://youtu.be/gCFnTjldpiQ to see how to practice acupressure to protect your vision.
- Drink sufficient water to improve your blood and lymph circulation.
- Have Macular Degeneration acupuncture treatment twice or once a week if your vision is declining faster than it should.
Many clinical researches compared the Macular Degeneration acupuncture treatment with a medication group, to see which one has a better result to improve vision in patients who have macular degeneration. In Zhong Guo Zhen Jiu, 2011, Dr. Jiao recruited 56 age related macular degeneration cases in acupuncture group and 28 patients in medication group. In the acupuncture group, Guangming (GB 37), Jingming (BL 1), Cuanzhu (BL 2), Taiyang (EX-HN 5), Sibai (ST 2), Yangbai (GB 14), Tongziliao (GB 1), Fengchi (GB 20), Ganshu (BL 18), Shenshu (BL 23) and Fenglong (ST 40) were stimulated. Vitamin C and Vitamin E and intramuscular injection of Entodon were applied to medication group. The acupuncture group had an effective rate of 88.3%, while the medication group had 60% (P < 0.05).