Bladder/ Kidney infections
Acupuncture improves immune function.
Why do some 40 year old men have to get up 3 times per night to urinate while some 80 year old men can still sleep through the night?
Higher levels of estrogen and inflammation in the prostate are the key factors which cause elevated PSA levels, leading to prostate enlargement and bladder irritation, eventually causing urine retention, urinary tract infections and kidney damage.
To reduce estrogen levels in men to prevent prostate enlargement when he turns to 30 years old, he can do the following:
- Eat more cruciferous vegetables such as cabbage, cauliflower, kale and broccoli.
- Cut down on ice cream, dark chocolate and other sweets so a man will not accumulate more fat and more estrogen.
- Cut down alcohol to once a week or every other week, so your liver can function better to deactivate the estrogen.
Recent research has shown that acupuncture can significantly improve the condition of patients with benign prostate enlargement, as measured by pain reduction, residual urine, and maximum urine flow.
The main causes of prostate hyperplasia include:
- Diabetes inflames blood vessels, causing inflammation of the prostate.
- Obesity can lead to higher levels of estrogen in men, stimulating prostate growth.
- An abnormality may happen during the second period of prostate growth, around the age of twenty.
- Dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a substance derived from the testosterone in the prostate, adrenal glands, testes and hair follicles, stimulates prostatic growth. Some research suggests that, even with the drop in the level of blood testosterone, older men continue to produce and accumulate high levels of dihydrotestosterone in the prostate. This accumulation may encourage the growth of prostate cells. Scientists have also noted that men who do not produce dihydrotestosterone do not develop prostatic hyperplasia.
- Regular alcohol consumption compromises liver function, so that the liver can not deactivate estrogen and dihydrotestosterone effectively, leading to increased levels of estrogen and thus the enlargement of the prostate.
- Tensile strength of the prostate capsule: If the capsule outside the prostate loses its elasticity, the enlarged prostate will not be able to grow outwards. Instead, the gland will compress the urethra, causing more irritation. For the same amount of prostate enlargement, a man with a stretchy prostate capsule will not suffer the severe urination problems that a man without one will experience. Deficiency of vitamin C may cause this dysfunction of the prostate capsule and other connective tissues.
- High dosage of fish oil: One study from the Harvard Medical School indicates that men who take a high dosage of flaxseed or fish oil for a long time have a greater risk of getting prostate cancer or prostate enlargement. Too much Omega-3 may influence the hormone balance.
Urinary tract infection (UTI)
Acupuncture can strengthen the immune function to fight the infection and balance your hormones to help your body build stronger protective membranes in the bladder and urinary tract.